Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 3: Vegan brunch and Bob Marley

It's not that often that I'm in Brighton, at my own house on a Saturday morning so on the occasions when it  does happen, I have a habit of treating myself to classic English breakfast/ brunch fare. Reawakening from the dead to visions of eggs florentine... snotty scrambled eggs... or even a deliciously salty boiled beauty, then realising that these are things of my previous veggie existence, hurt. An immediate google frenzy ensued and a vegan brunch was had using what I had in the cupboards. Et voila...



Wholemeal toast + stolen peanut butter (I just cannot do bare toast yet. Can't, won't, whatever)

Scrambled tofu - sauteed onion for a while, added in some garlic, followed by the tofu, then the cumin, turmeric and some stray rosemary from my...

Potato rosti thing - cut potatoes into matchsticks, season and boil them for a few mins. Whack in oven with oil and fresh rosemary, then refry when ready to go.

Baked beans, with a dash of (again stolen) Reggae Reggae sauce.
NB: I'm in some doubt about the reggae vegan credentials and while I THINK the beans are vegan, some brands use pork extract (ie. lips and arseholes right?), worcester sauce (anchovies) or cheese powder. It's a sodding minefield but as it's my first vegan weekender I'm going gently.

I admit that it looked pretty vile and genuinely made my heart sink as I sat down to taste it, yet I was actually rather pleased. I seriously do love eggs, big time, however I don't love the thought of a little lady chicken being debeaked so I can cook up her period packages. Nope, nope, so my slightly spicy tofu blobs and delicious potatoes have begun to show what a little bit of brain work in the kitchen can do for my diet and conscience.

ps - the rosemary was fresh from my bush. See bottom left.



Oh and by the way, I've already forgiven myself for another potential vegan defeat today because Bob Marley apparently said; 


"I-man say don't make Jah body a graveyard for de dead animals!"


If Levi Roots has gone and padded out that 'Reggae' sauce with little dead things, Bob and I are going to be equally pissed off.



Vegan breakfast stuff: