Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 13: UNLUCKY FOR SOME, ESPECIALLY BINGE EATERS

source: http://www.4dietreview.com/7-helpful-habits-lose-to-lose-tummy-fat/

Chugging on through to day 13 of this self inflicted form of torture has made many things apparent, not least my terrible relationship with food. Since starting the trial I have been perpetually unsatisfied. A dissatisfaction that emanates not from my stomach but my brain.

Since restocking my favourite peanut butter, I have fuelled late night work sessions with vegan friendly toast, savlon (soya spread) and the magical Meridian nutty goodness. I eat three meals a day and snack on fruit, oatcakes or a few nuts. I now have no choice but to ram each meal full of fresh vegetables and spices and I do not even remotely like the savlon spread. So why oh why am I eating anything at all, let alone that, at 1 or 2am? Why? For I am a greedy bastard of habit. I have two very bad habits. One is going to bed too late, the other is lazy, compulsive eating. The toast satisfies me because if I squint, or wait until I'm really, really tired and can't quite see straight, the savlon almost looks like butter, therefore in my head it's a treat that I deserve because it's 2am and I've been working hard for hours. LIES, LIES, LIES. 

To really lay it bare, I hereby officially declare that I am a greedy bastard of habit who justifies their actions with LIES. 

Yes, internet friends, all signs point to someone with a bit of an eating problem. Google self diagnosis has called me many things including a binge eater and a junk food addict. While I know I don't have a serious problem, I know that without facing it, it's only a matter of time before I do. For now, I am very active and obviously still have a pretty fast metabolism, meaning that I am not especially overweight. However a Chinese nurse told me very, very abruptly a few years ago that I was 'a little bit fat', a moment that has stuck with me. While I know I'm not really fat, the language barrier between us meant she gave me the bare facts. At that point I was indeed 'a little bit' fat and no, sweet, polite little British nurse was likely to hit me with it quite like this woman did. My appreciation of her honesty allowed me to forgive the subsequent multiple repeat smear tests required after she (TWICE) rendered mine invalid by unsheathing the sterile poking stick, flicking it around on both our hands to demonstrate the action she was about to perform and then sticking the very same weapon far up into my womanly depths.

A swift online hunt brings up an existing argument that it takes 21 days to break a habit. This apparently comes from research done by one man, Dr Maxwell Maltz; "originally a Plastic Surgeon, Maltz noticed that it took 21 days for amputees to cease feeling phantom sensations in the amputated limb(s)" (http://inmyskine.com/howto/21-days-to-develop-or-break-a-habit/). Although not sold on this rule, or wishing to compare my dietary habits to itching amputees, I am going to bear it in mind and add a new rule to the trial. With a further 18 days to go, I now add the rule that no snacking can take place beyond dinner. None. Under any circumstances. Welcome to the fun bus.

If I take the following old Guardian article on board, it suggests that i might need to seek comfort elsewhere. If anyone would like to offer themselves up as a comfort blanket, domestic slave or free personal chef, I would find that most comforting so please do get in touch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/10/change-your-life-habit-28-day-rule