Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 3 continued: Porky Prosecco anyone?


Things get really serious when you can't even drink away the pain. As follows are my most disturbing finds of the afternoon which was otherwise spent awaiting a glass of something special.

  • Non EU produced red wine might contain bulls blood to make it all dark, think and inky
  • My dear old friend Campari is a no-go as this little chap (& co.) is squished to provide me with the pleasure of drinking a pretty, dramatic looking glass of red, bitter booze. Look out for Carmine, cochineal or carminic acid on the label


  • Used in the process of making some beers, wines and another close friend of mine, Mr fizzy wine, is a handy and innocuous sounding ingredient called Isinglass. Although not so common these days, it's very good at it's job of gathering up the yucky bits in beer and making wine look all clear and delicious but sadly, it comes from the SWIM BLADDERS OF FISH! Go on then, here's a little pic of one inside it's first legal owner, a Canadian sockeye salmon;

check him out pre champagne flute...




I might well go vegan for March but I think I'm also at great risk of going completely insane, sober. 



Thankfully however, these sites help discern which brands ensure the vegans can get merry just like everyone else;


I had to include this one too, primarily because I love the title, "Is your beer made of fish?"...

therockyriver.com/is-your-beer-made-with-fish
and a highly superior vegan blog, that needs a mention;



DISCLAIMER! Remember, this vegan trial idea was hatched on Feb. 27th, thus with no planning ahead. If you think my extensive, stealth googling has given me dud info, please get in touch!