Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 11: I'M HUNGRY AND BORED

(source: http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html)

I didn't get my roast as I had to get home to get on with things for my other big deadline and didn't want to spend a fortune getting a takeaway from one of the places listed below. I'm pissed off, tired, hungry and don't want a salad or worse, any fucking raw nonsense. I've gone in a big circle this week and right now want to plunge my entire body into a vat of melted cheese.

On one hand part of me does feel better, or at least a bit different, since going vegan. Let's face it though, that could be for all manner of reasons, not simply the end of my late night cheese feasts or bathing in cows milk. On all other hands currently imaginable, while being vegan feels good psychologically it really is a massive pain in the arse (AND I STILL HAVE A RASH). 

I keep trying to deny it to myself and to this blog but it actually is painfully irritating. Not only am I losing weight because there's so little decent & affordable snack/ quick food available that I can legally consume when zooming around between London and Brighton, but I also suspect I'm burning a significant number of calories just thinking about what the hell to eat. 

It occurred to me today that it could be considered strange that our 'civilised' society has evolved to presume it acceptable for so much of our diet to be produced with the help of strange little bits of animal carcasses. If there weren't so many silent animal parts tucked into hidey holes, friends would not be able to happily say things like, "Oh this vegan thing is really boring, I hate it. It's just so boring. I mean, people are going to stop inviting you anywhere because it's just so annoying. There's nothing you can eat" (a friend really did say that yesterday). While I now know that this argument is seriously flawed, I also know how lazy people are and however hypocritical it may be, I too would fundamentally have agreed with this statement ten days ago.

For me now, I do not want to go back to eating any animal, or produce thereof, that has been farmed and I certainly would prefer not to consume anything that has used stray bits of any animal primarily for convenience e.g. to speed up it's production. If it is avoidable through taking your sweet time, then take it. Anything whose life exists and is taken purely for the gain of a human is not welcome in my guts. While Mr Meat and Co. argued that without meat farming there would be no cows, pigs, sheep etc. The entire World's not going vegan anytime soon, so I won't lose any sleep over that. However it is a topic to which I will return. Meanwhile...

What to do?

One answer is to go on lots of dates in Brighton and force the other person to take me to one of these and pay for the pleasure;

As pimping myself for food will only provide temporary relief, there really is only one other answer.. more research. More research followed by more cooking. I am only now realising that this is a lifestyle choice that takes serious commitment and knowledge. My maggot-like attention span will cause problems but I do have resolve and I at least have to survive vegan fucking March. 

In order to continue, off I go back to the beginning with my tail between my legs and ask; what really is vegan food? What does it take to get the magical Vegan Society stamp?