Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 1: Vegan defeat

I hereby commence this blog by admitting complete defeat on day one of my challenge to go from vegetarian to vegan for March 2012.

Before lamenting this further, I must mention a little cafe I stumbled across today during my flying visit to Manchester.

Oklahoma, 74-76 High Street, Manchester, M4 1ES
Although rather pricey, this is a sweet little place with free, fast wifi, super nice staff, good coffee (soya milk of course) and a variety of vegan food options..


www.yelp.co.uk/biz/oklahoma-machester-2








I will now explain exactly how badly I failed my inaugural day of vegandom;

Reason 1 : Semi skilled milk in my coffee
Excuse: I forgot

Reason 2. Loads of stolen butter on toast (stolen from my friends flatmate)
Excuse: I forgot

Reason 3. A serious quantity of Celebrations (NB: not the Bounty ones, never the Bounty)
Excuse 1: A debilitating sugar addiction
Excuse 2. Boredom from having spent hours on the M6 going seemingly nowhere despite reaching speeds far beyond the advisable and legal 70mph
Excuse 3: Excuse 2 + desperation after missing a service station with an M&S then being forced to stop at a rubbish one which had nothing remotely healthy or vegan for me other than a manky banana or stupidly expensive, stupidly sugary and weird looking nuts.

Reason 4: One bite of a hot cross bun
Excuse. I never knew that it was the dastardly egg that MADE a hot cross bloody bun so good. That is until I read the list of ingredients with it virtually hanging out of my mouth.

Lessons learned. Buy soya milk and (pathetic) butter substitute ASAP and take vegan treats on road trips.

Also, do more research pronto... what else have those sneaky eggs crept into without me realising it?


Websites I've just found that might help to up my game:


Vegan wisdom: www.livestrong.com/article/208885-vegan-substitutes-for-powdered-milk


Vegan recipes: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/two-week-vegan-meal-plan.aspx