Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 18: VINTAGE VEGANS

Where oh where is that wagon? I fell off it at some point last night and have been scrambling after it all day. I went for a friends birthday drinks and did my absolute best to stick to vegan booze. The pub staff were wonderful and really helpful, recommending their (fingers crossed) vegan friendly organic red wine. Ding. The night carried on merrily until a stupid drunker than drunk man plunged down a flight of stairs, breaking his fall with his elbow on my right shoulder blade, WITHOUT HIM EVEN NOTICING! The bar manager witnessed it all and promptly whizzed over with a shot of something rancid by way of an apology. I will declare that I didn't wait for the response to the words 'is this vegan?' before it was down my throat. This was repeated a couple of times. I'm sorry Salmon, I really am. I'm going to chase up Mr Booze and get him to give me my ultimate vegan drink list ASAP so this never happens again.

As I suspected that today may not quite go to plan, I got this post ready in advance. It's a goodie though. Who knew that the vegan thing was well in motion long before dreadlocks or rainbow coloured knitwear were invented? The mighty Mr Trall, among others it seems.

Basically, in an time where people think it's acceptable to consider stuff like this..

 this..or these..

vintage, we can very safely say that R.T Trall's "Hygeian Home Cook Book" from 1874 is a bone fide vintage/ antique/ almost jurassic find...










It's a cookery book giving instructions for 'palatable food without condiments', using exclusively plant-foods and water, thus omitting i.e. butter, salt, lard etc. I found it here, not at a car boot sale which means that it doesn't smell like a dead person, the pages are all present and correct,  there are no slimy/ mouldy favourite pages,  and most importantly there are definitely no residents from the Psocoptera family.

There's an entire chapter on PIES! PIEESS!! VEGANVEGANPIES! When I get my life back, I will be going up North to visit a dear old friend who ate nothing but Fray Bentos during her formative years. She's obviously the piemaster, so we are going to have a pie-off. Here's a little vid to get you in the mood...