Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Vegan April? The blog goes on...

It's well established that there is no way back into dairy territory. The thought of a French friend of mine dribbling over a baked brie pie actually makes me feel a little queasy. It always did, just now a little more so. Brie was always a cheese with which to offend me, baking the stuff only made it more obscene. Why would you ever want what was already more than gooey enough any gooier?! I really don't understand and now I don't have to. Never will I have to explain that yes, I love cheese just not the gooey ones, or the veiny ones, or the really dry crumbly smelly as hell ones. Oh and of course not that Italian maggoty one...

WHY WOULD ANYONE EAT THIS?

Eggs are also surprisingly out. A mere month ago, I discussed my intense love of eggs. How quickly the worm has turned. I really don't intend to eat one anytime soon. I jested to a friend that should I get to meet the hen, maybe I'd eat an egg or two. City dwelling means that for the short term, this is not a huge threat to my new straight edge (ish) lifestyle. 

Assuming the contents of my guts remain vegan I now have another spectrum of unchartered territory... vegan clothing, vegan makeup, vegan life all around... especially vegan shoes...

VEGAN SHOES! 

My heart seemed to bleed with every letter of that phrase. I've seen vegan shoes in the past and they are exactly as ugly as they sound. Of course, having a degree in Fashion Management and considerable experience working in garment production as well as making clothes myself, I know that it needn't be the case. Alas folks, it is. 

Thankfully there are a few creatures out there tackling this worrying issue including Brighton's own Vegetarian Shoes. You are however very sadly mistaken if you think you are going to convince me to wear anything they sell other than these boots, carefully selected and stocked by dear sweet Vx of Kings Cross...
Oh hang on a minute... they're not exactly what I was looking for this summer, but I don't have much choice as I WILL NEVER EVER WEAR "PUMPS" OR ANYTHING CALLED CORNELIA OR DAVINA. I AM SO ANGRY I'M SHOUTING IN THE ONLY WAY POSSIBLE... CAPITAL FUCKING LETTERS!

This summer I intend to be wearing shoes like this...
Source:http://www.miumiu.com/en/US/e-store/dep/shoes/cat/sandals/product/5XP414_3B2P_F0187_F_140#

Ah yes lovely you say, but are they vegan?
Well, snakeskin look.. "Ayers embossed calf leather" means a no I'd say. So, what about these...
source: http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/180462

Well, "Silk and Leather" plus a bit of human cruelty probably (Just guessing, this is fashion we're dealing with kids), means they're also a definite vegan no.

Ok, so how about these little babies...
Source: http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/194026

Well the "Textured-leather platform sandal" bit of the description suggests another NO.

Even these Sam Edelman shoes that I might be able to walk in leave me weeping with leathery vegan defeat.


Until all of my existing shoes are dead and gone, I will battle on through in what I have. Unfortunately the dearth of suitable summer footwear in my wardrobe means I have to tackle this one pronto. Luckily I'm from UK's very own shoetown, so intend to make some inquiries when I'm up for my apres Easter retreat. Before sawing my own legs off, I may as well conduct some door to door enquiries.

WATCH THIS VEGAN FRIENDLY SPACE....